Subject: Baggy Back

Baggy Back

From: Robert Espinosa <librje>
Date: Tuesday, April 16, 1991
Baggy back is in fact what many people use to refer to a binding with
the leather not stuck to the back.  I'm not sure where the term
originated but I've heard it used by the English conservators also.
Nickolas Pickwoad recently used it to refer to the aforementioned
technique while he was visiting here, and I think maybe even Roger
Powell used the term.  I believe I also saw it in Eleanore's notes from
Tony Cains workshop.  I think I remember Peter Waters using the term
also.  It really is a bit misleading because the leather is not baggy,
unless it is done wrong, but perhaps there is a bit of an allusion to
ones  first attempts at it, especially in contrast to the more
traditional tight back....

                  Distributed: Sunday, April 21, 1991