Subject: Excel binding

Excel binding

From: Jan Merrill-Oldham <hbladm18>
Date: Thursday, April 4, 1991
The first few responses I've gotten regarding Excel-style binding
suggest that the binders who are most committed to its development have
incorporated spine notching into the process as a means of enhancing
page adhesion and improving openability characteristics.  In addition,
when only a single lining is used, the material of choice has become
high-thread-count cotton fabric rather than the less strong spun
polyester.

Given that Excel-style binding is an evolving technology, and that our
chief collective interest is in identifying an optimal process for
possible inclusion in a new NISO/LBI library binding standard, it seems
that we should be evaluating the most fully-evolved configuration of the
Excel-style rather than earlier models.  Hope you'll take this into
consideration when providing feedback.

                  Distributed: Friday, April 12, 1991