Subject: Preserving music collections

Preserving music collections

From: Cheryl Shackelton <bm.nyp>
Date: Wednesday, March 20, 1991
As a member of the Education Committee of the Preservation of library
materials section (PLMS) of ALA, I am helping to plan a program to be
held at ALA Annual in Atlanta on Sunday June 30, 1991 from 2:00 -
5:30PM. The program is "Knowing the Score: Preserving Collections of
Music". The program will address the problems & challenges of preserving
collections of music in print and non-print formats. the program will be
(MLA, the Public Library Assoc., and the Rare Books & Manuscript Section
(RBMS).

In conjunction with the program,we would like to display samples of
various sorts of protective enclosures. We are interested in obtaining
samples of enclosures in use at your institution. This would include
enclosures for paper based music, recordings (cylinders and discs) wax,
vinyl, acetate, etc. and audio tapes (reel to reel & cassettes). We are
particularly interested  in creative solutions that you may have
developed at your institution for the protection of music materials.

The enclosures you submit along with others will be on display to give
your colleagues ideas about the various materials available for housing
music materials. I will also be soliciting samples from companies like
University Products, Gaylord, Demco, Hollinger, Light IMpressions,
Shield Pack, Conservation Resources International, Plastic Reel Corp. of
America, Angstrom and Discwasher. If you are presently using materials
manufactured by any of the above companies, please bring that to my
attention.

If you have anything to contribute please contact me by fax (212)
302-5328, phone (212) 930-0864 or E-mail bm.nyp, outlining  the
materials you wish to send. I am particularly interested in obtaining
samples from a cross-section of the country so we have a fair idea of
national practices. I would like to have the samples in my hot little
hands by May 1, 1991. We are looking forward to an exciting program and
hope that you will be able to contribute to this effort.

                  Distributed: Thursday, April 4, 1991