Subject: Sheet music

Sheet music

From: James W. Mason <masonjw>
Date: Monday, March 25, 1991
At Kansas State University we enclose sheet music in one or two pockets
between pam binder boards. the pockets are slit on the spine side so
damaged or brittle music is in less danger of getting torn.  as for
other problems such as spiral bound music, i'm looking forward to the
special program in june at ALA.

Made an unfortunate discovery at the Kansas Library Association
Tri-conference last week.  Brodart is handing out "modern simplified
book repair" instructions.  While possibly acceptable for collections
meant to last only a few years, the booklet contains no warning about
use of the recommended materials on manuscripts or rare books.  The book
mending kit, which is offered for sale, includes all manner of tapes and
glues and recommends that for drying water damaged books they first be
placed "in a warm room."  I shudder. Jim

                  Distributed: Sunday, March 31, 1991