Subject: Sheet music

Sheet music

From: Charlotte Payne <clpayne>
Date: Friday, March 22, 1991
The Preservation Department at UC Davis has developed a method for
protecting spiral-bound music scores that allows the music to open flat.
We reinforce the cover using scrap grey/white Hollinger board, two
strips of buckram and PVA.  First we photocopy the original covers to
retain any cataloging information.  Then we measure the board to be
slightly larger than the piece, cutting front and back boards.  Two
pieces of buckram are cut, the outer piece somewhat longer than the
score in length and the size of the spine area (the size of the spiral
from cover to cover) plus extensions of one and one-half inches in
width.  The inner piece is cut slightly less than the length of the
score and the same width.  Glue outer piece of buckram to the outside of
the boards, keeping the spine area open.  Fold over excess at top and
bottom and glue down.  Glue the inner piece of buckram over the inside
spine area.  The inner piece can be book cloth if it is available.
Attach the music to this case by gluing down the cover sheets to the
boards.  Press.  If necessary, glue the photocopies of the cover sheets
to the insides of the covers.  Round corners of boards.

This takes about 20 minutes per item.  We have been using this procedure
for over three years, and the pieces in the stacks have held up very
well despite cramped shelving and heavy use.

Wendy Jones

                  Distributed: Sunday, March 24, 1991