Subject: Book drops

Book drops

From: Jan Paris <jparis>
Date: Friday, March 8, 1991
I would like to hear about the various options that libraries are using
to deal with the issue of BOOK DROPS.  Are you doing business as usual
(drops open all the time), locking them when the library is open,
locking forever (and what was the reaction to this--patrons and
administration?)?  Are any of your materials marked with something like:
do not return in bookdrop?  Does that generally work?  Are there any
commercially available drops that are really any better than most? Any
news on the prototype for a "good" drop that was being developed at BYU?
I would be most interested in hearing your experiences, comments,
suggestions on this.  Thanks.

Jan Paris
UNC-Chapel Hill

                  Distributed: Sunday, March 10, 1991