Subject: Casemaking clothes moth infestation

Casemaking clothes moth infestation

From: Barbara Carlson <carlsonb>
Date: Wednesday, February 27, 1991
The library at the Medical University of South Carolina presently has an
infestation of casemaking clothes moths.  They are bunkered down under
the journal stacks merrily eating old wool carpet, laying their eggs on
the shelving and books, and flying around disturbing patrons.  Although
an exterminator sprayed repeatedly, it was only last week that we
discovered their hiding places.  We have consulted with the Clemson
University Extension Service and would like to follow their advice of
removing the old carpet and spraying after an initial mass fogging.
University housekeeping holds that merely removing the carpet and
spraying should be sufficient to kill the eggs, larvae and adults.  Does
anyone have experience with such a pest infestation?  We have about 60
stack ranges infested over a large area.  Is a piecemeal approach of
cleaning and spraying one range a day a satisfactory method, or is a
mass chemical attack by fogging advisable by the conservation community?

                  Distributed: Saturday, March 2, 1991