Subject: Magnetic tape longevity

Magnetic tape longevity

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Sunday, January 27, 1991
The following discussion took place recently in comp.misc.  It has been
lifted without the knowledge or permission of the authors and has been
edited very slightly for format.

 Article 11584 of comp.misc:
 From: henry [at] zoo__toronto__edu (Henry Spencer)
 Subject: Re: What is the life-time of magnetic tape?????
 Date: 17 Jan 91
  In article <1991Jan17.183902.24474 [at] watdragon__waterloo__edu>
     daford [at] watdragon__waterloo__edu (Daniel Ford) writes:
 >I have an old reference that states that the life-time of well cared
 >for magnetic tape is about 2 years.
 >Is that the current state of affairs for magnetic tape? What is the
 >expected life-time (i.e., you can still read what you wrote) today?

 We restore off backups that old now and then, and see few problems.
 Tapes ten years old normally remain readable, although we pay attention
 to cleaning the tape heads afterward.

 --
 If the Space Shuttle was the answer,| Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
 what was the question?              |  henry [at] zoo__toronto__edu   utzoo!henry

 Article 11590 of comp.misc: