Subject: Adhesives for Lepporelo binding

Adhesives for Lepporelo binding

From: Barb Tetenbaum <joebeets>
Date: Monday, January 7, 1991
I've had some interesting replies about adhesives for a japanese paper
lepporelo binding: Robert Espinosa is convinced that gelatin makes an
excellent adhesive for many types of paper, Jim Dast suggested methyl
cellulose applied in a thin layer and then immediately run over with a
tacking iron to remove moisture.  Many suggested mixtures of mc and
wheat paste.  I recently tried "sticking paste" from Japan and although
it took forever to bind (hard to spread) it dried without too much
cockling or stiffness.  I also found a book called "Chinese Traditional
Bookbinding" by Edward Martinique that contains a Ch'ing scholar's
recipe: During the coldest part of winter, flour of wheat is boiled;
thereafter molten snow is added, and the mixture then poured into a
large earthenware jar.  This jar is closed air-tight by pasting paper
over its mouth, and then it is left to mature, being taken out only once
a year, in winter, for changing the water.  After four or five years
this paste, known as kusari nori,"foul paste", is fit for use.  If too
thick, it is diluted by adding some thin new paste."

Unfortunately none of the above are as easy and problem-free as my glue
stick.  For now I'll just grit my teeth and take the time (1hour for
each book!)to use the "sticking paste".

joe beets

Barb Tetenbaum
1191 College Library