Subject: Library binding discussion group

Library binding discussion group

From: Lynn Jones <ljones>
Date: Thursday, December 20, 1990
Hello everyone!

Because of several interesting conversations of late, and the
not-so-long-ago heated Cons DistList series of exchanges regarding the
issues of deferring the binding of paperbacks, it seems a  good time to
allow open discussion at the Library Binding Discussion Group at ALA.
The place is the Hilton Hotel, the Lake Ontario Room on Saturday January
12th at 2:00 pm.

Some questions I plan to introduce are:

What criteria do you use to choose which paperbacks NOT to bind-- size,
thickness, cover material, anticipated use (and does anyone have a
realistic way to anticipate use?)?

Who makes the decision,a nd how does having a split workflow affect your
program?

What effect does this reduction in binding have on the collection over
time (especially interested in hearing from libraries that have
long-term experience with this)?  How have you changed your repair or
rebinding programs to cope?

Have you used any methods short of binding to facilitate shelving, eg.
stiffening or some such (shring wrapping?!)

Would you return to binding all paperbacks if you had the budget or has
this "right sizing" improved your budget management overall?

For the answers to these and other exciting, and important questions, I
encourage your participation (or that of your appropriate staff) at the
Binding Discussion Group.  I am trying to "plant" some articulate folks
to get discussion going, so if you plan on attending please email or
call me at 415 642-8843.  I'll be here until January 4th.   See you
there,

Lynn Jones Conservation Department, UC Berkeley

                 Distributed: Monday, December 24, 1990