Subject: Quality control of commercial binding

Quality control of commercial binding

From: Barbara Sagraves <sagraves>
Date: Tuesday, December 18, 1990
The head of our material processing unit (bindery) who is about to join
the Cons DistList is eager to present a number of questions to this
forum.  She will be reading over my shoulder until her membership is
accepted (!) (It's Elayne Bond at Northwestern) Take it away Elayne:

1.  How do you check each book when it returns from the bindery?  Do you
use work study students?  Do you have a check list for each book? What
type of things do you look at when checking in each book?  Do you keep a
tally of errors your commercial bindery makes with each shipment?  Do
you consider non-structural errors like call number errors on the spine
and title/author errors separately from structural errors that affect
the life of the book, such as loose pages, poorly cut boards, crooked
endsheets, spine bubbles on the paper liners, loose hinges, glue dropped
on the edges of the text block, etc.

2.  What would you say the percentage of errors is?  What is the volume
of work you send out to the commercial binder each month?

3. Does anyone have any experience with a hinge that is similar to the
glue used in a post-it?  Our commercial binder has begun to use these
instead of a paper hinge (the hinge that is used to hold the binder's
ticket in place: removed upon receipt and check in at the library). I am
finding that when I remove them from newsprint-type paper, the top layer
of the paper comes off with the hinge!  Also, this hinge sometimes
breaks off and sticks to the glossy covers of our journals.

4. Does anyone have NOTIS and use an online system for their commercial
binder?

Thanks.

                 Distributed: Monday, December 24, 1990