Subject: Copying methods for tightly bound books

Copying methods for tightly bound books

From: Eleanore Stewart <cn.ess>
Date: Wednesday, December 12, 1990
We are looking for options to make use copies of special collection
books which are bound too tightly to be copied by the traditional
methods  of edge copiers, microfilming, or prismascopes (the book in
question opens about 30 degrees -- it can be read, but not much else). I
know the British Library developed a photoluminescent panel which can be
inserted to photograph each page, but I don't know if anyone in this
country has tried it  (the work needs to be done in a dark room, so
finding trained technicians and facilities is also problematic).   Does
anyone know of hand held scanners or other techniques which would work?
I am familiar with a hand held scanner called ScanMan, but the profile
on this is still too large to capture the image in the gutter.  Thanks
for any leads.

               Distributed: Wednesday, December 12, 1990