Subject: Adhesives for book artists

Adhesives for book artists

From: Barb Tetenbaum <joebeets>
Date: Friday, November 30, 1990
I have have been in the process of binding a little "leporello" limited
edition book using (oh no here it comes...) PRITT glue stick. The
reasons are: the pages are Kitakata (a mitsumata-based paper) and the
consistency reminds me of rice paste, it goes on so easily and allows me
to bind the 60+ individual pages without mess or cockling the pages, I
can buy it at the local store and the stick form makes it so easy to
apply, my hands can stay clean.  Many book artists do not have the time
or equipment to cook up the kind of adhesives a conservator normally
does and resort to what can be bought cheaply and easily.

So with all this in mind, I'd like to know if there is a better product,
one that is suited to the more spontaneous nature of artists. What will
eventually happen to that little leporello book? Should it be stored any
differently to extend the life of the adhesion?

One more question: What is the best adhesive to use when binding a
leporello made of transparent/tracing paper (for those of you who don't
know this binding, the pages are tipped along the folded and cut edges
and stacked alternately fold to cut, sometimes called "concertina". )

I would appreciate any advice and no grief.

Sincerely, BT

                 Distributed: Sunday, December 2, 1990