Subject: Barcode standards

Barcode standards

From: Erich Kesse <erikess>
Date: Tuesday, November 27, 1990
The standards to which I referred in our 1987/1988 tests of barcodes
were ANSI standards for paper.  At that time, UFlorida was unable to
identify standards explicitly for barcodes.  We assumed that damage
would result at contact areas: the "paper" and the "adhesive".  We
applied ANSI Z39.48-1984, "Permanence of paper for printed library
materials". Papers used in barcodes were covered by thin films of
various types. Some papers appeared to by synthetic, and were beyond our
ability to test.  We also tested the effects of adhesives on paper. In
particular, we tried to identify pH, penetration and spread.  Again, we
found no standard or guidelines under which to perform tests.  We tested
spread and penetration by artificial aging under conditions of heat and
pressure. The tests were not entirely satisfactory.  Some of the
barcodes we tested had a metal substrate.  We had no means of testing
this substrate.

I recently reviewed standards literature published since these "tests"
and was unable to locate further information.  While I did find
standards for manufacture and testing of composite materials, there
appears to be no standard for the product.

This review began with classification of components: adhesive layer;
metal substrate; paper substrate (including synthetic papers); and
plastic layer and plasticizers.

Barcodes and their use in information and image management are described
in 2 Association for Information and Image Management publications:
Barcoding (AIIM publication P037) and Barcoding (AIIM Special Interest
Package publication L025):  both general information on use.

Standards relating to the various substrates are defined by the American
Society for Testing Materials (ASTM) and other organizations, including
ANSI, NISO, and TAPPI.  Standards relating to adhesion of
substrates/layers in the creation of barcodes is most closely (though
not adequately) governed by the reports of ASTM Committee D14 on
adhesives, particularly D1184-69, which discusses the flexural strength
of adhesive bonded laminated assemblies. Other specific reports detail
processes which MIGHT be applied to certain types of assemblies:
D2674-72, for example, details preparation of aluminum surfaces, a
common metal substrate.  Looking at adhesives alone, other ASTM D14
reports concern insect attack and susceptibility, bacterial
contamination, storage life, effects of humidity and temperature,
strength, laboratory aging, resistance to penetration of adhesives, and
surface preparations.  Similar information appears to exist for metal
substrates: flexibility, embrittlement, deterioration including
biodeterioration, etc.

Apparently, we need someone to pull all of this information together:
regarding barcodes, self-adhesive detection mechanism (e.g., 3M book
detection strips), etc.

I will try to find someone here.

Erich J. Kesse
Preservation Office
University of Florida Libraries
904-392-6962
Fax: 904-392-7251

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 28, 1990