Subject: Printing inks

Printing inks

From: Ellen McCrady <whenry>
Date: Thursday, November 22, 1990
People keep asking me if modern printing inks are permanent.  I tell
them I have never heard of them giving any trouble.  When oxidizing oils
like linseed oil used to be used in inks (only for newspapers, I think),
they used to deteriorate the paper around the printed image.  But other
than that, has anyone ever heard of a modern printing ink (i.e., one
that is used today) doing any of the following?

- Degrading the paper
- Fading in light or dark
- Running when wet
- Reacting strangely to heat
- Rubbing off or smearing
- Fading when used on alkaline paper
- Falling off the page
- Reacting in an unexpected way to aqueous or nonaqueous deacidification
  solutions or any other treatment likely to be used on it in a
  conservation lab
- Anything else

                Distributed: Saturday, November 24, 1990