Subject: Obsolete barcodes

Obsolete barcodes

From: Jan Merrill-Oldham <hbladm18>
Date: Monday, November 19, 1990
I am submitting an inquiry for Annette Morris, Conservator at the
Georgetown University Law Library.  She does not yet have access to
e-mail.  The Library bar codes each newly acquired periodical issue; bar
codes are placed on the front cover of each issue.  When a periodical
volume is bound it is issued a new, single bar code, and the bar codes
for the individual periodical issues are deleted from the Library's
bibliographic data base.

Annette would like to know how libraries are dealing with the no-longer-
valid bar codes that have been adhered to each issue.  Currently at
Georgetown, the bar codes are peeled away from covers, but invariably
the covers are damaged and/or adhesive from the bar codes is
incompletely removed.

If you know of a more conservationally sound approach to the bar coding
of periodicals, please contact Annette directly at 202-662-9175 or
communicate to me via e-mail and I will pass information along to
Annette.

Thanks very much.

                                          ___
                                        /   /l
                                      /   /  l
Jan Merrill-Oldham, Head            /   /    l
Preservation Department           /__ /      l
University of Connecticut         l Sl       l
Homer Babbidge Library            l Al       l
U-5P                              l Vl       l
Storrs, Conn.  06269-1005         l El       l
(203) 486-6019                    l  l      /
HBLADM18 [at] UCONNVM__BITNET           l Ml    /
                                  l El  /
                                  l__l/

                 Distributed: Monday, November 19, 1990