Subject: Spacepak

Spacepak

From: Charlotte Brown <c_brown>
Date: Thursday, November 15, 1990
I just purchased from Kent Archive Products Co. (Hawley, PA) a set of
SPACEPAK (tm) "filebox atmosphere control elements." The 3" x 3"
packet's "liner notes" state that the SPACEPAK contains "a specially
formulated non-toxic absorbent agent."

Is anyone familiar with the product ?

You are supposed to place the packet inside the manuscript or records
storage box and it will "absorb sulfides, moisture, and acids."  They
should be replaced every two years (estimate).

There is no list of "ingredients" and upon opening one of the packets, I
found a very fine white powder.  I do not have access to testing
capabilities but I would be willing to send a sample packet to anyone
interested in analyzing the contents - and I promise to report the
results to whenry.

The packets sell for just under $1.00 each.

QUESTION:

        if I am able to provide, for most of the time, a stable
temperature and humidity controlled environment;
        if I apply good "holdings maintenance" practices to my archival
and manuscript collections;
        if I suspect that my air filtration system is not up to standard
re: particulates / ozone / etc.;
        and IF the SPACEPAK accomplishes what it is advertised to do;

is it likely that this product is providing anything measurable re:
collection longevity...or am I indulging in overkill ? [besides spending
my supplies budget !]

I remember a while back reading a comment on this bulletin board (was it
a by Ellen McCrady ?) about the need for, my words, a "Consumers
Reports" for products used in conducting preservation and archival
programs and that testing of products is often done but the results are
not disseminated.  Such a source of information would be very useful !

Cheers!

Charlotte B. Brown
Franklin & Marshall College
Lancaster, PA