Subject: Barcoding

Barcoding

From: Erich Kesse <erikess>
Date: Thursday, November 15, 1990
The University of Florida has also made the decision to barcode inside
the back cover of bound materials.  I believe this is true of the entire
State University System in Florida.

UF uses stationary barcode scanners.  In theory, these scanners allow
one to pick the book up as one would a book to read it.  At least, this
alternative does not result in pressure on the case.  Practice is
another matter.

I haven't worried too much about loss of the barcode.  They are easily
replaced when the book is bound.  It would be lost whether on the case
or on the endsheet.  UF uses "piggy-back" barcodes, i.e., barcodes that
can be "moved" at a later date.  When binding, piggies are placed behind
the title page, generally in an area which will result in least damage
should the adhesive not be stable.  After binding, piggies are lifted
from a substrate and removed to the inside back cover.We have found it
very easy, using NOTIS just to replace barcodes with new ones as
necessary.

WOULDN'T IT BE NICE IF... we could just pretend to be supermarkets!
There have been threats in the State of Florida for years now that we
will have to inventory all property, including books, using barcode
technology. UF has talked about (though it has decided nothing) placing
barcodes on the outside of the case on the back cover, using barcodes
with adhesives similar to Selin Labels used for call numbers.  This
would certainly reduce pressure to case and hinge.  Unfortunately, such
barcodes do not exist to my knowledge.

Permanence of UF labels.  I believe that all barcodes purchased for the
initial run of barcoding generated from the State's NOTIS network came
from the same supplier.  This included the University of West Florida.
Subsequent purchases have been made by individual libraries.  Rather
than accept supplier's information, UF tested barcodes -- in fact, we
tested a group and our tests may have informed initial purchase.  Our
tests found that the "paper" was within standard for pH, etc.  ... The
adhesive appeared similarly within standard.  Aging and heat tests as
best we were able to perform them indicated that no adhesive had other
desirable properties. Some impregnated book papers, while others
appeared not to.  Almost all migrated to some extent around the edges of
the barcode, resulting in some sticking to the endsheet.  Administrators
in the State of Florida chose the least harmful of alternatives.

RARE BOOKS: as mentioned earlier by someone else, we affix barcodes to
the acid free bookmark used for call numbers.  Both call numbers and
barcodes can be seen when the book is closed.  UF does not produce
shelflist or other cards on which to place barcodes.

Erich J. Kesse
Preservation Office
University of Florida Libraries
904-392-6962