Subject: Back gauges for Vagelli board shears

Back gauges for Vagelli board shears

From: Robert Espinosa <librje>
Date: Tuesday, November 13, 1990
I had a custom made back gauge made for my Vagelli board shears several
years ago because of the problems encountered with the gauge which came
with the cutter:  too heavy, scratching of the surface of the table
causing materials to pick up the green paint residue, and generally
clumsy to move easily.

The new gauge is made of a lightweight aluminum, with teflon skids on
the bottom providing a very smooth action.  It is anodized so there is
no transfer of oxides to the operator or to material being cut.  We have
since made them for two other cutters in the book repair unit, a Jacques
shear and an older cutter, both of which required    the machining of
new "guides" for the gauge to travel on.

I am now offering them for sale to any interested parties who would like
to replace their Vagelli back gauge.  If there is more interest, I can
have them made for other cutters on a custom basis.  The cost will be
$200 for the Vagelli model.

We have been extremely pleased with these gauges, because their light
weight and virtually frictionless movement provides for very quick and
easy adjustment.

Send your queries to me here or call me at 801-378-7654.

Robert Espinosa
Library Conservator
Brigham Young University.

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 14, 1990