Subject: Barcoding

Barcoding

From: Dean DeBolt <ddebolt>
Date: Monday, November 12, 1990
tried to ask about the paper and adhesive used for these (they were
stuck on all inside fly-leaves of all library books for adding to the
NOTIS base two years ago), the Associate Director for Technical Services
assured me that the vendor {!!} had assured him of their "permanence."
Which goes to show the need for administrators to think seriously about
preservation; other- wise it seems to make little difference.

Technical Services sticks the bar code to the fly-leaf and Circulation
attaches a date-due slip for stamping under this code (they use Scotch
tape-- another battle lost).

When it comes to Rare Books, I did get a policy that the bar code is not
affixed to the book.  Rather, we order two sets of shelf list cards--one
is kept in Cataloging, the other in Special Collections.  This latter
becomes a Department shelf list and inventory control.  The bar codes
for each book is attached to the BACK of this card.  So if the book
would ever need to be checked out for any reason (usually
in-house--exhibits, binding), the card is used along with the book.

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian, Special Collections
University of West Florida Library
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 14, 1990