Subject: Barcoding

Barcoding

From: Mary Hanson <libmjh>
Date: Thursday, November 1, 1990
I need some information and advice: Syracuse is embarking on a barcoding
extravaganza within the next few weeks in preparation for NOTIS
implementation.  The Smart barcode vendor we are using is Davis and
Henderson Data Imaging Inc (I think they hail from Toronto).  Is anyone
familiar with this company--eg what kind of adhesive is used on the
label itself?  Is acidity an issue here? Also, a question to those of
you who have been through such a project: exactly where on the item
itself did you decide to place the label? On the spine? Inside?  From
the preservation point of view, some of us think the spine would be most
appropriate (seems like there would be less physical handling of the
piece during application)-- I'd appreciate your input because this whole
issue is up for grabs right now and I would like to present a
well-considered suggestion to the committee for their review.  Thanks!

      Marty Hanson
      Syracuse University
      libmjh [at] suvm__bitnet

                Distributed: Thursday, November 8, 1990