Subject: Deferral of monograph binding

Deferral of monograph binding

From: Sara R. Williams <sw981>
Date: Monday, October 29, 1990
We have been routinely not binding new paperbacks for a long time, and
the results have not been as bad as we had feared. The decision was made
strictly on financial grounds.  Paperbacks are sent to the stacks with
minimal processing.  Circulation staff hold deteriorated books for
review by the Preservation Office.  Tattered paperbacks which are
still in good enough condition to bind are reviewed by subject
bibliographers, who have the option of weeding any titles which they no
longer want in the collection.  Between 1% and 3% of books circulated in
any given year fit in this category, i.e. tattered enough to need
commercial binding and still able to stand the process.

We are finding an increasing number of paperbacks which are tattered,
printed on paper of reasonable quality, but have such narrow gutter
margins that binding would be impossible.

We will probably have to consider some sort of stiffening process for
books in this category. Maybe this would be a reasonable solution to
UFL's problem.

Sara Williams
sw981 [at] ALBNYVMS__BITNET
University Libraries