Subject: Pell/Williams resolution CCI research

Pell/Williams resolution CCI research

From: Ellen McCrady <whenry>
Date: Monday, October 15, 1990
The Pell/Williams Resolution has passed Congress and was signed by
President Bush October 11.  So far I don't think any copies of it are
available.  Maybe by Nov. 15 or so.

A couple of nights ago I developed a pH pen that can be used to identify
paper below 6.8, between 6.8 and 8.4, and above 8.4, using phenol red.
But it is not as easy to use as the pen using chlorophenol red, because
1) you have to wet the paper first, using a pH pen with distilled water
in it, 2) then you have to wait till the water soaks in, which may take
a minute or two if lots of size has been used in the paper, and 3) you
have to be careful not to abrade the surface of the paper, because
abraded or damaged fibers always test over 8.0, whether they are or not.
It may have some use in field operations, so I may develop it if I can't
find anything better.

I talked to Jane Down October 19, and was relieved to hear that the
rumor that CCI will NOT test Ultraflex is false.  In fact, they have
already analyzed it: it is very similar to Elmer's Glue-All, Weldbond
and Planatol in some ways (they did not look at degree of polymerization
or several other important things).  The plasticizer is a butyl
phthalate.  PH results will be available in the new year.

Jane also said they are now doing a periodic reexamination of ways in
which they can orient their programs to the needs of the field,
including book and paper conservation.  They do this every five years.
And they are considering requests from the US! The person to contact
will usually be Helen Burgess, who is heading the Book and Paper
Research Group, but I suppose needs related to adhesives will be
forwarded to Jane, who works closely with Helen.  Write CCI, 1030 Innes
Road, Ottawa, Ont. K1A 0C8, Canada.  Phone:  613/998-3721.  Fax:
613/998-4721.

The reason you are getting all this via Email is that none of it is
ready for publication now, and may not be ready for a while, but I just
had to tell someone.

By the way, it was Barrow who said not to use homopolymers.

Ellen

    **** Moderator's comments:   To send mail to Ellen McCrady, put
    FORWARD: Ellen McCrady
    at the top of your message and mail it to whenry [at] lindy__stanford__edu

                 Distributed: Sunday, October 28, 1990