Subject: Asbestos removal in archives

Asbestos removal in archives

From: Dean DeBolt <ddebolt>
Date: Tuesday, October 23, 1990
in our library, we are planning to close for three weeks during the
christmas break for asbestos removal.  chiefly, the hanging ceiling
panels on floors 1-4 contain asbestos (date from 1966/67 period) and
must be removed. they are safe but frayed edges mean they must be
removed in accordance with epa standards (licensed trained personnel,
air monitoring, etc.).

special collections, located in the basement, occupies newly-renovated
quarters from 1981 and no traces of asbestos have been found in the
panels. the stack areas of the dept. (manuscripts, archives, rare books,
maps, newspapers, photographs) have a separate hvac system to maintain
constant and monitored temperature and humidity.  nevertheless, the
department will have to be closed during the removal since the air
system for the building will be shut off.

traditionally the christmas break (mid dec to early jan.) is usually a
rainy time for this area of Florida gulf coast.  it may be cool or very
cold during this period (was 9 degrees 12/22/89) but with fairly high
humidity.

although perhaps it is too early to know, there are several possible
options for my dept.  it may be closed, but no asbestos removal.  it may
be closed yet hvac left operating.  i've been told that the book stacks
will be covered in plastic wrap to prevent dust, asbestos, etc. from
falling on them.  in an environment of no air circulation, high relative
humidity, and possibly cool temperatures, is my concern about mold and
mildew an unreasonable concern?  also what about leaving containers of
blue silicate in the special collections stacks during this period?  has
anyone had experience with the value of these to maintain humidity
control in a large area (1,000 sq.ft. or more)?   any suggestions and
ideas would be welcome, and as i know more, i'll pass it along. thanks.

dean debolt
university librarian for special collections
john c. pace library, university of west florida, pensacola
ddebolt@uwf

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 23, 1990