Subject: Photocopying

Photocopying

From: Lora T. Brueck <lbrueck>
Date: Friday, October 12, 1990
I have a query/problem I would like you to put out to members.  We have
recently received a Xerox 5042 photocopier for staff use.  This machine
is book-friendly and allows us to copy 1 page at a time minimizing
damage to the spine.  With our old machine, the book had to be placed
flat on the glass.  A controversy has arisen between our ILL staff and
our Preservation staff.  The ILL people want to continue to copy 2 pages
at a time with the book flat on the glass to save time, paper, and
postage.  The preservation people want all books (journals, etc.) to be
copied 1 page at a time.  There is no money available for increased
student help in ILL or for additional postage.  Our ILL Dept. was the
first recipient of the Nelinet ILL Dept. of the Year award, and are
afraid their reputation will be tarnished if they decline to fill some
requests or take more time to do it.  We have set up a committee to see
if we can draw up standards that both sides can live with.  Do any of
the members of this group have any such standards for photocopying?
(This is a small engineering school, and though we are not considered a
research library, we do intend to keep most of our materials
indefinitely.)  Can we restrict staff in their methods of photocopying,
but not patrons?  Are such things as size and age reasonable criteria
for standards?  I would appreciate any suggestions on this topic.

Lora Brueck
Worcester Polytechnic Institute

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 17, 1990