Subject: Screening applicants for conservation assistant positions

Screening applicants for conservation assistant positions

From: Lorraine Rutherford <olley>
Date: Wednesday, September 26, 1990
We have a position open for a conservation technician in our department.
Working with the head of the section, the technician is expected to make
repairs and protective enclosures for general collections materials.
Tasks include paper mending, rebacking, recasing, resewing text blocks.
Like most other places, we have trouble finding experienced people to
fill these positions.  My question is whether other repair/conservation
facilities use a manual dexterity test as part of the interview process.
If you do, what tasks do you require?  How do you evaluate the potential
of an applicant based on the tests?  I'd also appreciate input from
those who used dexterity tests in the past but no longer feel that they
are useful. Thanks.

Lorraine Olley
Head, Preservation Dept.,
Indiana University Libraries

               Distributed: Saturday, September 29, 1990