Subject: Nitrate

Nitrate

From: Karen Pavelka <pavelka>
Date: Monday, July 30, 1990
Our building has 90,720 cu.ft. per floor, which gives 725,760 cu. ft.
including the basement.  (rough estimate)  The air exchange is screwey,
however, because it is based on the amount of CO2 in the building, and
the engineers tell me any guess at the rate would be as good as
worthless.  The nitrate film takes up about 25' X 15' (very rough
figures) without being crammed.  It is rolled and sheet film.  It is in
varying stages of deterioration. Our HVAC system has only particulate
filtration.

What I am going to do next is try to take advantage of a system Steve
Weintraub has developed with Purafil, by which we can hang 6 silver
coupons in areas of the buildings and have them evaluated at the end of
a month to determine the levels of NO and NO2.  I'm still waiting for an
answer to what else they will measure.

               Distributed: Saturday, September 22, 1990