Subject: PVA Buffers

PVA Buffers

From: Doug Nishimura <dwnpph>
Date: Thursday, September 20, 1990
This comment is late, but I've been away for several weeks and didn't
have a chance to write before the last posting.  (...and my dog ate my
pen and...)  Anyway, my thanks to Ellen McCrady for her comments about
alkaline reserve.  I was not aware of the article she mentioned, but the
theories listed help to settle some of the questions we had here at IPI.
We had an intern from the Delaware program during the summer who was
working on the question of alkaline reserve and its effects on
photographs (physicially and chemically).  Peripherally, many other
questions came up and, by coincidence, so did the discussion on this net
about alkaline reserve.  I will have to look for the article and see
what it says.  It's useful comments like that that make this network
worthwhile.

One of my collegues came across mention of a reversible PVA in the Aug.
1990 Abbey Newsletter.  We don't have a copy of the Newsletter
referenced in the note (in the Products & Services section).  Anyway,
she would like to know if the adhesive is PVAcetate or PVAlcohol and
whether anyone has tried it yet.  Comments would be helpful.

Thanks.

-Doug

               Distributed: Saturday, September 22, 1990