Subject: Asbestos contaminated book collection

Asbestos contaminated book collection

From: Lorraine Rutherford <olley>
Date: Wednesday, August 8, 1990
An interesting query from the University Library Planning list:

    Date: 6 Aug 90
    Sender:       University Library Planning Discussion
                    <LIBPLN-L [at] QUCDN__BITNET>
    From:         Frank Bright <BRIGHT [at] WISCMACC__BITNET>
    Subject:      Contaminated book collection

    To: Library Planning Group
    From: Frank Bright, UW-Madison

    Recently, as a result of a cleaning accident, the Math Library of
    the Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison suffered asbestos contamination which
    forced the closing of the library until the contamination could be
    cleaned up.  While we have had prior experience with asbestos
    projects of various kinds, we have not before faced the problem of a
    contaminated book collection.  We would appreciate help from anyone
    who knows of an effective and efficient method for doing this work.

    One suggestion we have had was to decontaminate each book, put it in
    a plastic bag and remove it from the decontaminated area.  However,
    there is no other room in this building big enough to hold the
    contents of the Math Library that is not already in use.

    Another suggestion was to decontaminate one corner of the library,
    erect a visquine barrier there and store the decontaminated books
    there.  Because of space limitations, the decontaminated area would
    have to be enlarged several times as the work of cleaning the books
    goes on.

    Another suggestion was to decontaminate one range at a time and
    envelop the completed range in visquine.  The problem with that
    method is that the first book cleaned sits in the decontaminated
    room until the entire range is finished.

    We would be grateful for any suggestions.  Thanks!

    Frank Bright               Phone:     608-262-2833
    372C Memorial Library           Internet:  bright [at] vms__macc__wisc__edu
    University of Wisconsin-Madison      Bitnet:    bright@wiscmacc
    728 State Street
    Madison, WI  53706

    Frank Bright            378 Memorial Library            262-2833

                  Distributed: Friday, August 17, 1990