Subject: Microfilm reader/printers

Microfilm reader/printers

From: Regina Sinclair <cn.evf>
Date: Friday, August 10, 1990
I am interested in obtaining information about microfilm
reader/printers and their application in general as well as for
preservation purposes.  Does anyone know of their use for such?  If
so, I am interested in learning about those experiences.

My specific questions include:

    - who is the manufacturer and what is the model number?

    - when was the item purchased?

    - what did it cost?

    - what is its repair record?

    - what is the nature of maintenance required by the machine?

    - where is it used, for what purpose is it used and to what extent
    does it receive use?

    - does it have auto or manual load and feed?  if it is auto, to what
    extent can the speed be controlled?

    - does it have metal and/or plastic rollers?

    - can the glass flats be lifted?  do they automatically lift
    when film is in motion or do they require manual lifting?  are
    the glass flats moveable in any other manner? do they have
    straight or bevelled edges?

    - what printing technology is employed (dry silver, electrofax,
    xerographic)?  is the printing process polarity reversing,
    maintaining, or is it bimodal?  does the machine require liquid
    or dry toner?  does it require special (treated) paper?  what hard
    copy size(s) can be made?

    - to what degree can the image on the screen be rotated?

    - generally, how much space does the machine occupy?

I would appreciate information that the DistList subscribers can
provide on any of the questions posed above.

Thanks, ev

                  Distributed: Friday, August 17, 1990