Subject: Photogard

Photogard

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Monday, July 16, 1990
    [The following is forwarded from LIBPLN-L]
    Date: 16 Jul 90
    From: David Lasocki <lasocki [at] iubacs__bitnet>

    Dear colleagues,

    This isn't strictly library planning, but I'm in despair about where
    else to turn.  My colleague in Collection Development has been
    trying to learn more about the "Photogard" (TM) process for the
    preservation and conservation of film.  This is a polymerized
    silicon coating that is "fixed" on the surface of the film with UV
    light.  It protects the surface and fills scratches.  The process
    apparently won an academy award in 1983 for technical and scientific
    achievement.  All this information is from a science show on the
    Discovery cable channel.

    Is this process available commercially?  How much does it cost?  We
    are interested in using it for some expensive microfilm sets we own.

    I'd be most grateful if anyone could shed any light on this.

    David Lasocki
    Head of Public Services
    Music Library
    Indiana University
    Bloomington, IN 47405
    (812) 855-2970

    **** Moderator's comments: Merrill-Oldham already suggested to Mr.
    Lasocki that he get in touch with James Reilly

                   Distributed: Monday, July 30, 1990