Subject: Mass deacidification

Mass deacidification

From: Richard Frieder <frieder>
Date: Tuesday, May 15, 1990
Walter -  I am writing in regard to Bobbie Pilette's message on mass
deacidification in the most recent Cons Distlist.  The CIC has been
active in assessing mass deacidifcation systems for the past year.  We
are currently planning a program very similar to that mentioned by
Bobbie.  I saw Janet Gertz (Head, Preservation Department, Columbia)
last week and she suggested the possibility of Columbia and the CIC
working together.  I'm sure there will be further communication between
Bobbie, Janet and me so that we don't duplicate each other's efforts.

By the way, for those who don't know, "CIC" stands for Committee on
Institutional Cooperation.  The CIC consists of the Big Ten universities
(this will be meaningful for football fans) and the University of
Chicago.  The Directors of the CIC libraries appointed a Task Force on
Mass Deacidification (of which I am chair) a year ago.  The Directors
meet at the end of this month, at which time the Task Force will propose
our plan for the program referred to in the above paragraph.  Whatever
the outcome, we will make our plans known to the
library/preservation/conservation community so that others are aware of
our work.  Thanks.

                  Distributed: Wednesday, May 23, 1990