Subject: Resizing project

Resizing project

From: M. Susan Barger <mse_zmsb>
Date: Thursday, June 21, 1990
Dear Walter,

If Eleanor has not told you, we were not awarded the NEH grant for data
analysis.  I am in the midst of preparing a final report to NEH for the
study as it stands and will make it very clear that now there is nothing
but raw data which is, by itself, not very useful.  I will re-submit a
grant in the next round (due date 1 December for 1992), but in this
instance, the project must stop.  There is simply too much data to
analyze without a large computer.  I have two questions---1) Could you
send me a brief note here at Hopkins expressing your excitement at the
prospects of the project and your horror or whatever that the data
analysis will not be funded?  (I could include such a document in my
final report.) and 2) At your leisure, could you write a letter of
support for the continuation of the project at some future date?  In
fact, such a letter could be solicited for inclusion in the
re-submission of the grant from the entire DISTLIST group.

I am submitting along with the final report one set of the raw data for
one book so that they have an idea of the amount of data that we have
and why it is such a shame to leave it unanalyzed.

I will be here through the 27 June and will be in briefly on the 6 July.
I will check the computer during those times.  After that, I will be
leaving Baltimore on the 9 July and will be in Santa Fe sometime
after---later that week.  In case I didn't give it to you, the address
is:

                3 Moya Lane
                Santa Fe, NM 87505
                505.988.5709

You can reach me via the computer through Claire Rutiser here at Hopkins.
She will be intouch with me and can let me know what is going on or print
out messages and send them to me.

        All best and thanks in advance for letters of support.

                        Susan

                  Distributed: Thursday, May 21, 1990