Subject: Barcodes

Barcodes

From: Lorraine Rutherford <olley>
Date: Thursday, June 14, 1990
Does George Washington University put Se-lin call number labels on rare
books, too?  The plan for barcoding the rare books in the Lilly Library
is to stick the barcode label on the flag that already contains the call
number information.  The label will sit well above the textblock and
there is no danger to the book or surrounding books.  As for barcode
adhesives, I do not have documentation other than experience in a
library where labels were place inside the back cover of books.  In many
instances, the adhesive oozed around the edges of the label and stuck to
the flyleaf.  You might also be able to use the argument that a barcode
on a flag can be scanned without opening the book, thus preventing some
additional wear during charge-out and inventory.  I will be curious to
hear F&M's final decision.

Lorraine Olley
Indiana University Libraries

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 19, 1990