Subject: Buy or bind

Buy or bind

From: Carolyn Harris <harrisc>
Date: Tuesday, June 19, 1990
Another factor is that it is usually relatively cheap ($5 or so) to put
a double-fanned adhesive binding on a paperback, and more expensive at
$8-10 to put a new binding on a hardcover book.  If the paper has become
brittle it is even more.  The aesthetic quality of the original binding
should be considered as well, although paperback bindings can be more
interesting than hardcover, since we don't usually retain dust jackets.

I'd also like to see this formula applied to the bind or not decision
for paperbacks.

Also, the premium between hard cover and paperback is usually $20 to
$25, not $9, which makes it hard to justify acquiring the hard cover.

                   Distributed: Tuesday, May 19, 1990