Subject: Buy or bind

Buy or bind

From: Lorraine Rutherford <olley>
Date: Wednesday, June 13, 1990
I think one factor that was overlooked in the previous analyses of this
question is the difference in paper quality between hardcover and
paperback editions.  You may recall that when all those publishers took
the permanent paper pledge at NYPL last year they pledged to produce
first edition *hardcover* books on permanent paper.  My impression is
that a paperback edition is usually printed at a later time, and on
different paper, than the hardcover run.  However, this question came up
specifically in relation to Cambridge University Press in the early
1980s.  The library I worked in was upset at the $40 price differential
between hardcover and paperback editions.  Investigation showed that CUP
used the same press run for both editions, so there was no difference in
paper.  The library then chose to purchase CUP paperbacks whenever
possible, and bind them upon receipt.  Of course, as the trend toward
alkaline paper production continues, this may be a moot point.

Lorraine Olley
Indiana University Libraries

                  Distributed: Wednesday, May 13, 1990