Subject: Mass deacidification testing protocols

Mass deacidification testing protocols

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Saturday, April 28, 1990
Most of us have been concerning ourselves with the problem of evaluating
and comparing the emerging mass deacidification technologies.  Clearly,
in order to carry out this process adequately, we need to reach
consensus on a consistent scheme or protocol for testing and evaluation,
one agreed upon in advance by the all the players and one that enables
fair comparisons between the various processes.  Some of us have been
talking to representatives of the companies involved and have tried to
hammer this point home.

Toward this end, Robert Wedinger, of FMC (Lithco) has written an
"evaluation strategy developed by FMC for paper preservation systems"
with the aim of helping "to focus and facilitate discussions on
objective criteria."  I haven't had a chance to read it yet (it is
*long*), and so won't comment at all on the content,  but I do
appreciate the gesture and hope those of you who are involved in this
enterprise will write to Lithco for a copy and will provide feedback.

The address is

    Robert Wedinger
    Lithium Corporation of America
    449 Cox Road