Subject: Permanent inks

Permanent inks

From: Ellen McCrady <whenry>
Date: Friday, April 13, 1990
I have been collecting information on permanent pens and inks.
Apparently, no large systematic study on this has been done in a long
time.  The CCI evaluated felt-tip markers a few years back, and the
National Archives evaluated light-fastness, resistance to a tendency to
offset when wet, and pH after testing in a bunch of pen fillers
available in nearby stores.  If anybody knows of any other testing of
pens or inks for permanence, I would appreceiate it if they could let me
know.  I keep getting calls from people who need to have some practical
brand-name recommendations.

The pen that performed best in the NARA tests was the Pigma Micron, by
Sakura.  It is available in art stores, drafting supply stores, craft &
hobby shops and office supply stores; they are willing to talk to buyers
who can't find it in those places, if they call 800-776-6257.

The Lindy Legal pen is recommended around here.  It uses the same ink
that the company puts into its laundry marking pen.  The ink
manufacturer is sending me some information.  It was supposedly tested
by the LDS Church, but I didn't know they had test facilities. E.

                 Distributed: Saturday, April 28, 1990