Subject: Disks with books

Disks with books

From: Walter Henry <whenry>
Date: Friday, February 16, 1990
The following message is forwarded from PACS-L

    Date: 16 Feb 90
    From: George L. Abbott <libgla [at] suvm__bitnet>

    At Syracuse University Library we has set up procedures for handling
    disks accompanying books.  The disks are removed from the books at
    the time of cataloging and sent to the library Media Services
    Department. The book is sent to the stacks with a note in it that
    the disk is available from Media Services.  We immediately make a
    copy of the disc and house it seperate from the original.  The copy
    is then circulated to users on request.  Because of viruses and
    because some discs have user exercises on them, when the disk is
    returned we immediately reformat it and return to the original disc
    and make another copy to have available for the next user.  This has
    worked well so far.

    George L. Abbott
    Media Services Department
    Syracuse University Library