Subject: Project Jukebox

Project Jukebox

From: Sally Roggia <roggia>
Date: Tuesday, February 6, 1990
Forwarded message from PACS-L

    Date: 31 Jan 90
    From: FTFV [at] ALASKA__BitNet

        Using Modern Technologies to Preserve Endangered Recordings

    The Oral History Program at the University of Alaska Rasmuson
    Library maintains an extensive collection of historical and
    cultral important recordings. The collection mainly consists of
    audio recordings on cassette and reel to reel, but also of an
    increasing number of video cassettes. In its present form the
    collection faces deterioration of recordings and high personnel
    cost of accessing and maintaining the material. The goal of the
    Oral History Program is to preserve its collection in a
    permanent way and to provide easy and rapid access to it. The
    Oral History Program is looking at interactive technologies like
    DVI or other CD-ROM/WORM systems as a way of preserving the
    recordings and to provide a self contained search and retrival
    system.

    Project Jukebox
    ---------------

    Project Jukebox is my masters project in engineering management.
    The objective is to study technical and economical feasible
    solutions that meet the above stated goal; permanent
    preservation and easy and rapid access of the collection. I
    started this project earlier this month and am right now in the
    data collection phase:

    *       Does anyone know of an existing or planned application
        of preserving an audio or video collection in the above
        described or similar way?

    *       Does anyone know addresses, prices, etc. of interest?

    *       Does anyone work on the same problem?

    I'd appreciate any help, hints, etc.

    Thanks very much,

    Felix Vogt
    Engineering and Science Management