Moldy collections, coast to coast!, fwd

From ARCHIVES, FYI

Date:    Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:22:45 -0500
From:    "Tina V. Furtado" <tfurtado@SAILSINC.ORG>
Subject: Moldy collection
Hello all!
A local office wants to donate material to our library that was recently
(about a month ago) exposed to a steam pipe burst inside the vault in
which the items were stored. Needless to say the bindings, in some
cases, seem to be cooked onto the text blocks but the books can be
opened. Much of the collection is duplicate material; State and City
documents, which are available elsewhere and thus not in question.
However, some are manuscript material which provides unique
genealogical information and significantly adds to the history of our
schools. Dates run about 1880-1920.

Now the problem, some are moldy which I know means all must be
treated prior to our accepting any. The fungicides that used to be quite
effective, have in recent years been discontinued due to the danger to
humans as well as fungi.

Have any of you had experience with wanting moldy collections and if
so, what can you advise?  I know about brushing off the mold with
brushes and using a HEPA vac. out in the sunshine, but I understand that
is not guaranteed to eliminate the possibility of mold transfer to our other
material once it's in our Archives.

We have Civil War correspondence and 500 whaling logs among other
things, so you understand my concern.   Any and all thoughts would be
very much appreciated.

Tina V. Furtado, archivist
New Bedford Free Public Library - Special Collections - Archives Room
New Bedford MA 02740    Tel: (508) 961-3104
                        e-mail: tfurtado@sailsinc.org