Free reprocessing of water-damaged microfilm, and other messages, fdw

Here are messages cut from ConsDistLIst this am,  sorry for duplication

Date: 5 Oct 98
From: Randy Silverman <rsilverm@alex.lib.utah.edu>
Subject: Free reprocessing of water-damaged microfilm

(The following information has been approved for posting by Stephen
J. Eckert of Kodak and Ms. Flo Wilson of Vanderbilt University, and
is provided as a disaster planning tip).

Eastman Kodak Company's Microfilm Disaster Recovery Lab in
Rochester, NY provides free reprocessing of all Kodak microfilm
damaged in water related disasters.

For example, after a heavy rain on June 5, 1998, water leaked
through the roof into the library's microfilm cabinets at Vanderbilt
University (Nashville, TN).  On June 9, 1998, 1,081 rolls of wet
35mm x 100' microfilm were received at the Disaster Recovery Lab in
Rochester.  Initially the rolls were evaluated and then washed.  On
June 17, 1998, 1,081 freshly washed rolls of microfilm in new black
plastic storage boxes were sent back to Vanderbilt University.
Following this shipment Kodak was happy to send a no-charge invoice
for $7800 to the library for this service.  Because this microfilm
was Kodak microfilm, processed in Kodak chemistry by an authorized
Kodak processing facility, this disaster recovery service was free
of charge.

To learn more about this service and packaging procedures for
shipping wet microfilm, please contact Kodak's Microfilm Disaster
Recovery Lab 1-800-243-8811.

Randy Silverman
Preservation Librarian
Marriott Library