fire demo comments

Captain George Bradford (grbrad@mtnweb.com) of the San Jose Fire
Department has provided us with comments on the Oct. 5 fire
demonstration and related matters.  Included are questions about the
operation of the proposed disaster mutual assistance pact.  Please
provide comments, suggestions, and answers to George?s questions as
appropriate.  We will be having a discussion of the workshop at the Nov
7 meeting.

10/23/96, Workshop review, George Bradford, San Jose Fire Department

Have you given any thought to students with minimal training to do the
heavy work?

2.	I like the way you have divided up the bay area into zones. We
will need a contact person with pager in each of the counties and a
representative for each zone. The mutual aid plan works by local
agencies calling to the county "area coordinator" first, then calling to the
region level. I think we will be able to use the zone concept if it is well
defined in the agreement with OES.

3.	How is the use of commercial freezer space and trucking cost
funded during these emergencies?

4.	I like your vendor/supplier database idea. How do you feel about
keeping it on the web site and maintaining it by a committee from within
BAPNET?

5.	The letters of support between all the parties participating in this
mutual aid agreement look OK. There should be a similar agreement
between northern calif. and southern calif. teams. Who pays for the
transportation of personnel and supplies?

6.	We should maintain a regular liaison with OES during the
development of these agreements. I think you should also consider a
experianced fire professional to act as the agency rep. This person goes
to the command post and introduces the conservitor leaders to the
command post leaders. His job would be to help develop a plan that is
good for both groups. He should be used to working in a incident
command post and know his way around a base camp.

7.	The SEMS legislation that Tim Boyd talked about requires that all
emergency worker and teams operate under the ICS system. A basic
level of mandatory training would be needed for all people participating in
this program. I will bring some info to the Nov. meeting.

That should keep the gear turning for now, see ya in Nov.  GB