Re: June 7 cleanup -Reply

Hi.   Lynn Jones suggests 6/25 in the a.m., can everyone confirm?
Janice has invited us to meet at Mills College Library, Special Collections.
Please see below for directions.

Concerning whether or not we should put on a disaster workshop in the
Bay Area this year:

I appreciate Lynn Jones' suggestion that the California Preservation
Program interns are putting on a series of workshops starting this
summer.  We should certainly steer all who are interested in participating
in these sessions their way.  This will be especially good for the folks
from the Central Valley and Sacramento who attended the Symposium.

However, from the way I read Lynn's and also Marilyn McDonald's
messages, the CPP interns are mandated to conduct their workshops
outside the Bay Area.  If this is the case, we should certainly try to
organize our own workshop closer to home if at all feasible.  A corner
stone of what we have been proposing in our literature for months is the
creation of a corps of librarians, archivists, records folks (and their
respective staffs, technicians, assistants) with basic training in disaster
response.  ( As Sheryl Davis pointed out in her Symposium presentation,
an affliated organization's localized disaster may be a training opportunity
for others providing mutual aid.)

Lynn also points out that a workshop would be duplicative and would not
get funded as such by the State Library/LSCA program.  This is certainly
a concern.  However, if we held a workshop in the next six months, we
would not be asking for LSCA funds to support it.  The workshop would
be self-supporting, with seed money from existing BAPNet funds (thanks
to the hard work of many people we now have a substantial bank
account - from June 7 Symposium receipts/BAPNet dues).

So perhaps when we meet next week, we can discuss this, too?

Here is a proposed agenda:

1.  June 7 Symposium debriefing

2.  Mutual response brainstorming

3.  Future programs, including a proposal for a disaster response (and
planning?) training workshop.

Mills College is at 5000 MacArthur Blvd., Oakland.

Directions

>From San Francisco, take the Bay Bridge and I-80 to I-580 toward
Hayward-Stockton for about 7 miles to the MacArthur Blvd. exit. (Do not
take the MacArthur-San Pablo Ave. exit which is the first exit in Oakland
off I-580 after the Bridge.) From the freeway off ramp, bear right onto
MacArthur Blvd; the entrance to the campus is immediately ahead on
your left.

>From Berkeley and downtown Oakland, take I-580 and proceed as in
directions from San Francisco, above.

>From Berkeley south and east of the U.C. campus, Contra Costa County,
and Oakland Hills, take Warren Freeway (Hwy. 13) south, then I-580
West where Warren Freeway ends. Immediately take MacArthur/High
Street exit. Turn left at the stop sign and proceed under the freeway
overpass. Turn left at the stop light. The Mills College entrance is
immediately on your left.

>From points south, including Fremont, San Jose, and Santa Clara: Take
I-880 (Eastshore Freeway) north toward Oakland, then Hwy. 238
towards Castro Valley. Take I-580 west toward Oakland. Take the
MacArthur-High St. exit just after the junction with Hwy. 13 (do not take
the MarArthur-Foothill exit.) Turn left at the stop sign and proceed under