San Jose fire program

Greetings:  BAPpers will recall that Leslie Masunaga of SJ Historical
Musem and Capt. George Bradford of the SJ Fire Department have
proposed a BAPNet sponsored fire demonstration for this year.  We met
in San Jose on 5/20 to start the planning process so that we would have
something to announce at the June 7 symposium.

You may recall that the George's idea was to set up a range of shelving,
fill it with records and books, and set them on fire, watch them burn for a
specified period, and then put out the fire.  This will give people a first
hand look at what fire does and how quickly and intensely it does it.

We set a date, Saturday, Oct. 5, 9:00-3:30, with additional presentations
or demonstrations on sprinkler systems, mitigation, arson, and a
presentation on fire mutual aid in California.  The place will be the San
Jose Fire Department's training center.

The concensus was that there should be no charge for admission other
than that for a box lunch.

However, at least one other BAPNet person feels that we should charge
for this event.  So this is a request to the list for comment on the
following three alternatives suggested by this discussion.  This is also a
call for a poll of members of the Executive Committee:

1.  There be no charge for this event other than that for a box lunch

2.  That we charge $15 for BAPNet members and $25 for non-members

3.  That the event be free for BAPNet members and $10 for
non-members, this fee to go towards BAPNet dues.

Motivation:  I  feel that the committee working on this project should be
supported by us adopting its orginal plan of making this a no-fee event.
The June 7 symposium will raise substantial funds that will allow BAPNet
to be self-supporting for probably a year or more.  Charging for events is
good and necessary on an occasional basis, but imposes a substantial
work burden on those responsible for receiving and depositing the
money, and keeping track of who paid.

Thanks for your time

Richard Boyden (415) 876-9084