Mutual Assistance

Greetings.  At the BAPNet meeting Thursday, April 11, it was suggested
that we get letters of support from all of our insitutions which are lending
their names to the grant application.  As suggested, here is a draft of
some boilerplate language folks can use to develop these letters:

SAMPLE LETTER FOR INSTITUTIONS IN SUPPORT OF MUTUAL
ASSISTANCE PACT

[date]

Richard Boyden
Chair
Bay Area Preservation Network
c/o National Archives and Records Administration
1000 Commodore Drive
San Bruno, CA 94066

Dear Mr. Boyden:

I am writing to express the support of [name of institution] for a mutual
assistance pact for disaster response among libraries, archives, records
management programs, and other institutions holding information
resources in the greater San Francisco Bay Area.  We believe that it is
beyond the resources of most institutions to stockpile disaster supplies
and to train a large number of staff and volunteers without the pooled
efforts of many organizations from the public, private, and higher
education sectors.

We as an institution have a strong interest in possible future affiliation
with such a mutual assistance pact, and wish to lend our support to
current efforts to organize such a pact, including an application for a
Library Services and Construction Act grant for the purchase of common
supplies and for common staff training activities.

Etc., etc....

Sincerely, etc., etc.