June 7 Courthouse Fire Symposium announcement

Greetings.  Below is the text of our announcement that has already been
posted on the ARCHIVES and RECMGMT lists, and is going out in postal
mail from here this week.  CONSDIST is sending it out soon.   I need
everyone's help in identifying other listservs that this should posted on.
Thanks

Here's the text:

BAPNet - Bay Area Preservation Network
presents a symposium on

Lessons of a Records Disaster:
The 1995 Contra Costa Courthouse Fires

In August and September of last year, three courthouses in Contra Costa
County, California, were devastated by arson fires.  Partly due to the
lack of sprinkler systems, the disaster cost the County and its insurers
millions of dollars in document recovery costs.  Many permanently
valuable files were lost forever.

This conference assembles experts in fire protection, disaster planning,
materials conservation, records management, and archives to conduct a
postmortem on this tragic experience.

We invite librarians, archivists, records managers, conservators,
firefighters, related professionals and policy makers, and the public to
attend this forum.

Speakers: Ronny J. Coleman, California State Fire Marshal, Judith
Fortson, Hoover Institution Library Director,  Nancy Zimmelman, California
State Archives, Charles Sabah, C.A. Sabah & Co. , Bob Westby, former
Contra Costa County records manager, Susan Ping Wong, County of
Santa Clara, Sheryl Davis, Inland Empire Libraries Disaster Response
Network, and David Gaynon, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.

Where: Ed Roybal Auditorium, Oakland, Calif., Federal Building

When:  Friday June 7, 1996, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Registration:  $25.00,  $15.00 BAPNet members
$25.00 registration fee includes one year's BAPNet membership dues;
Box Lunch $6.00 (optional)

*   *   *   *   *   *

Registration Form

Name

Institution

Address

City

State

Zip

Phone  (       )                      FAX

Email

Enclosed      $25.00       $15.00  BAPNet member in good standing

              $6.00  Box Lunch

               Total

Please make checks payable to Bay Area Preservation Network

  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

                Please return by May 15 to:

BAPNet, c/o Marilyn McDonald, Archivist
Foothill DeAnza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road, Los Altos Hills, CA  94022-4504

Current information on this event is available in electronic form on the
BAPNet Homepage at http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/bapnet

For more information call Richard Boyden at (415) 876-9084 messages:
(415) 876-9006; email:richard.boyden@sanbruno.nara.gov

*   *   *   *   *   *

DIRECTIONS TO THE OAKLAND FEDERAL BUILDING

The new Oakland Federal Building, located on Clay between 12th and
14th Streets, is an imposing twin-towered structure in the heart of
downtown Oakland.  Because parking is scarce and fairly expensive,
and rush-hour traffic in and out of the area is difficult, we strongly
recommend taking BART, which stops within two blocks of the Federal
Building at 12th St. and Broadway.   Please be sure to bring a photo I.D.
for entry to the building.

On BART: Take BART to the Oakland City Center-12th Street station.
Follow the signs for the 13th and Broadway exit,  then exit at sign "John
B. Williams Plaza",  walk up the stairs and continue west through the
Plaza, then cross Clay Street to the Federal Building.

By car:

>From San Francisco, take I-80 east to I-980.  Take 12th St. exit and
proceed to 11th St., turning left over overpass. Drive three blocks to Clay
Street and turn left.  Drive one block.  The Federal Building is one the left.

>From San Jose, take I-880 north, take Broadway exit, turn right on
Broadway and drive six blocks.  Turn left on 12th St., drive one block
and turn right on Clay St.  The Federal Building is on the left.

>From Concord, take I-680 south to Highway 24, and then south on I-980.
Take 12th St. exit and proceed to 11th St, turning left over overpass.
Drive three blocks to Clay St., turn left and drive one block.  The Federal
Building is on the left.

Parking:

*Oakland City Center West Garage, on Jefferson St. between 12th and
13th Streets, covered garage, $6.50 per day

*Clay Street Garage, enter on Clay between 14th and 15th, $6.50 per
day (this covered garage is directly to the west of Oakland City Hall)

*Downtown Merchants, 13th and Franklin, two decks, one covered,
$6.50 per day

*Oakland Convention Center garage, enter on 11th St. just past Clay,
$6.50 per day

To find meeting room:

Enter the building through the central atrium area between the North and
South Towers.  Walking to the right, sign in with the guard at the
entrance to the North Tower.  You will need a photo ID.  Specify "NARA"
as your contact and Auditorium as your destination.  Ask the guard for
directions to the Auditorium.

Submitted by:

Richard Boyden, Chair, Bay Area Preservation Network
Chief, Appraisal and Disposition Branch
Federal Records Center - National Archives and Records Administration
1000 Commodore Drive
San Bruno, CA  94066