Re: [AV Media Matters] SVHS Correction & Preservation

Jerry

Yes, I was referring to VIDEO DVD-Rs and I forgot to make that
distinction.

Regards interchange,  I was the Ampex person responsible for interchange
for
all Ampex helical videotape recorders except for the industrial machines
made
in Chicago in the sixties.  I analyzed all of the variables and made
sure
that the SMPTE standards that were adopted would produce videotapes that
were
totally interchangable among all of the VTR manufacturers.

Regards error correction, the Ampex digital videotape recorders had
incredibly good error correction.  I scraped about a square inch of
oxide off
a D2 tape and the video did not appear degraded in a room with normal
light.
I'm sure that if I looked at the video output in a dark room I would
have
noticed a degradation in the video.

Jim Wheeler

This email was sent to: waiscool@cool.conservation-us.org