[AV Media Matters] CD burner question

Dear List Members,

I feel like Rip van Winkle.  I think I fell asleep and missed out on a few things.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Specifically, changes in CD burners.  I recently upgraded to a Windows XP computer and found that it uses an entirely different way to burn CDs.  It seems to write only the files being copied to the blank disk and does not format the disk beforehand.

Unfortunately, my office computer and my other backup computer then see these XP-written CDs as read-only so cannot write to them.

On the other hand, if I format a disk on the other computers and put some files on it, then the XP will not allow writing anything else to them sensing them as being full.

Has anyone else had this problem?  And a solution?

Many thanks,

Jim Rementer
This email was sent to: waiscool@cool.conservation-us.org