Re: [AV Media Matters] definition of 'archival'

I agree, it does "technically" let the manufacturer off the hook, but oh
the poor user, he is left hanging on the end of the hook. In theory
digital preservation works, in practice it doesn't. The ANSI life
expectancy standard should read: "The length of time content is
retrievable in a system". The idea of allowing a misleading standard is
wrong and there should be an effort to correct it.
Example: LE 100. Once AV system providers clearly understand their
retrieval responsibilities, they can decide if their system can meet the
requirement.
The inherent attributes of film based systems, which store images as
human decipherable objects, are obvious, but if current (digital) and
future technology dependent systems can meet the meet the standard, so be
it.

Russ Burkel

I think Scott Allen's ( Univ. of So. Carolina ) comment last October
stated the problem well. Quote.
" What we have to fight sometimes is an adversarial relationship between
access and preservation--as if all-encompassing ease of immediate access
were so important that it outweighed any long range needs for
preservation. The principal example being certain administration people
who push hard for the panacea  of digital ( they're not sure what kind of
digital, just digital ) while ignoring the fact that we are seriously
under funded on the preservation side of things. i.e., we MIGHT
dramatically increase short term access, but at the cost of both
long-term preservation AND access. While it is possible to have
preservation without access, you can't have long-term access without
preservation..."

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:47:19 -0400 Peter Brothers <lists@specsbros.com>